Hi, I'm Evan Troxel
I am a licensed architect in the state of California, author, designer, educator, podcaster, musician, artist, husband and father. I’ve always been very curious, am an early adopter, and am pretty good at connecting the dots. I am happiest in my workshop making things or being outdoors on an adventure. I share everything I know.
My work in the profession of architecture is in higher education, private and public K-12 schools, civic, commercial and residential projects. It's my passion. I believe that architecture can make our lives better. I also believe in being a well-rounded designer (not a Capital 'D' Designer - there's a difference) that solves problems through the process of design. I have much more interest in solving a client's problems during the planning of a building than what it looks like from the outside. I have too many interests to pick a specialty.
From an early age I was encouraged to do two things that led me to decide to become an architect. The first was to always seek new experiences. Our family traveled a lot, and always found something new which helped us all gain a bigger perspective. The second was that I was encouraged to solve problems using a hands-on approach. I’m sure it’s why I still love being in my workshop so much. Thinking back, I’ve always been very curious and hands-on. I took apart and reassembled just about anything I could grab hold of. These are traits I rely on to get out of my comfort zone and always continue learning new things.
I have taught previously at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona and 2 years at Mt. San Antonio Community College in their architecture departments focusing on digital design skills and the integration of digital and analog design in the studio environment. I continue to teach, but instead of doing it at a school, I've opened my own online courses over at Method Digital Training. More on that in a bit. I continue to stay involved at the local architecture schools on design review jury's.
You can see examples of my work on this site including architecture, photography, art, fabrication, music, and writing among other things. I love doing all kinds of projects and define myself as a renaissance man. Like I said, I have many interests.
Sure, I do other things too besides work. I like riding my mountain bike, rock climbing, snowboarding, welding, woodworking, making music, playing with my kids, cooking, gardening, and traveling. I am happiest either outdoors or in my studio/workshop making things.
- Young Architect Guide: 15 Inspiring Architectural Mentors
- Good News: You Don't Have to Be a Math Genius to Be an Architect
Business of Architecture:
- Podcast - Passing the Architect Registration Exam: ARE Hacks with Evan Troxel
- Podcast - Behind the Scenes of the Archispeak Podcast: Interview with Evan Troxel
- Podcast - Social Media for Architects with Archispeak Podcast
- Podcast - Archispeak on BoA – Part 1
- Podcast - Archispeak on BoA – Part 2
Construction specifier magazine:
- Podcast - EA135: Hacking Your Life for ARE Success and Beyond with Architect Evan Troxel
- 25 Architects You Should Follow on Twitter
AutoDesSys (creators of form•Z):
- Webinar #109: FormZ for Architectural Modeling, Rendering and Drawings with Evan Troxel
- How to Succeed in Architecture: Project Architects' Best Practices
- How to Succeed in Architecture: Master the Art of Presentation - Part 01
- How to Succeed in Architecture: Master the Art of Presentation - Part 02
- The Edge: Evan Troxel's Show and Tell
Life of an Architect:
- Designer, Mentor, Professor, Blogger: Meet Evan Troxel
- Evan Troxel Discusses All Things Architecture on Archispeak
Inside the firm podcast:
- Episode #8 - Design Your Life
Building design & construction magazine:
Young Architects Forum (YAF):
- YAF Connection 14.01 – An Interview with the Creators of Archispeak (p26)
American Institute of Architects (AIA):
But wait, there's more...
I cohost a podcast with a couple of friends that I met on Twitter. The show is called Archispeak, and you can find more information at the show's website. We're having a lot of fun looking behind the veil of what really happens in the architectural profession. We share our experiences, try to give everyone an idea of what it's really like to work in the field, and show why we are passionate about our chosen profession.
Besides this site, I also have a tutorial website called Method (this is the educator part) where I share everything I am continually learning about digital design. It's a great place for other architectural designers to learn without a speed limit and become worth more to themselves, their clients, their businesses and the industry. I am available for hire for in-person training as well either physically or virtually.
Spaceshop is the name of my personal workshop where I do design and fabrication projects. The first endeavor is my soulcraft project: a camping trailer designed for my family. You can follow along the blog as I make progress on it.
If you'd like to get in touch with me, feel free to drop me a line anytime by sending me a message either here or on twitter.